Job Description & Requirements
Registered Nurse - First Assistant
Kaiser Permanente's state-of-the-art medical centers are located throughout Maryland, Virginia, and Washington, DC, where our members live, work, and play. With your doctor, lab, pharmacy, and X-ray in one convenient location, our medical centers are designed for the way you live today.
Located less than 20 miles from our Nation's capital, the recently expanded Largo Medical Center opened July 8, 2013 and is now serving Kaiser Permanente members. This location was expanded into a state-of-the-art mulit specailty facility. This is the largest KP medical center in the Mid-Atlantic area.
Under direct and immediate supervision of a surgeon will perform the role of 1st assistant during surgical procedures.
This position consistently supports compliance and the Principles of Responsibility (Kaiser Permanente's Code of Conduct) by maintaining the privacy and confidentiality of information, protecting the assets of the organization, acting with ethics and integrity, reporting non-compliance, and adhering to the applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations, accreditation and licenser requirements (if applicable), and Kaiser Permanente's policies and procedures. In addition, Regional leaders are accountable for communication, implementation, enforcement, monitoring and oversight of compliance policies and practices in their departments.
Consistently demonstrates the knowledge, skills, abilities, and behaviors necessary to provide superior and culturally sensitive service to each other, to our members, and to purchasers, contracted providers and vendors.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Positions the patient in accordance with the surgeon's instruction
2. Uses standard and specialized equipment to aid in patient positioning
3. Provides the surgeon with appropriate visualization of the operative site using retractors, sponges, digital manipulation, and other techniques according to standards.
4. Utilizes appropriate technique to assist surgeon with temporary or permanent hemostasis by providing aid in exposure, hemostasis, and other technical functions that will help the surgeon carry out a safe operation with optimal results for the patient.
5. Performs duties as a surgical technician in all surgical specialties practicing in the ambulatory surgery center.
6. Utilizes appropriate techniques to assist with closure of body planes, i.e. sutures and staples.
7. Selects and applies appropriate wound dressings.
8. Assists with patient transport to and from OR, including from gurney to bed.
8 Participates in monitoring quality of care according to professional standards and established criteria.
9 Performs other related duties as indicated.