Job Description & Requirements
Registered Nurse - First Assistant - (RNFA - Operating Room)
Under the direction and supervision of a physician, and using Standardized Procedures, the RNFA provides high quality, cost effective patient care by performing surgical preparation procedures, perioperative and post-operative procedures, and assists in performing surgical and other procedures.
• Assists in performing surgical procedures and other procedures consistent with the standards of care and practice guidelines: Will work as the first assist during surgical procedures, start IV's, and/or perform suturing. Performs post-operative procedures to include transcription of standard post-operative orders into patient medical records; assists physicians with evaluation and management of patient's status during recovery; reviews vital signs, laboratory and x-ray studies; assists with technical management of patients.
• Performs patient discharge in conjunction with social worker, pharmacist, and physical therapist; dictates discharge and transfer summaries in a timely manner.
• May perform admission evaluation on new patients to include: obtaining basic medical information and history, reviewing patient's medical record, performing physical exam, transcribing history and medical findings into patient medical record, and reporting deviations from normal findings to attending physician.
• Provides patient and family with pre-operative and other pertinent education.
• Answers questions regarding surgery, recovery and risk factor modification, procedures; provides blood transfusion information; performs surgical peri-operative procedures; locates and utilizes x-rays, instruments and pertinent patient information.
• Reviews patient chart noting allergies, pertinent medical history, and abnormal physical findings.
• Ability to help develop appropriate protocols and keep protocols up to date.
• Demonstrated ability and skill in recommending medications, treatment and follow-up care for specific conditions, according to approved protocols and under the supervision of a physician.
• Demonstrated ability and skill to assess, teach and counsel patients.
• Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain a working relationship with patients, physicians and other team members.
• Exhibits a professional manner with a high degree of courtesy, tact and poise when interacting with employees, patients and visitors.