Job Description & Requirements
Registered Nurse - First Assistant
1. See OR Nurse representative Duties.
2. RNs as first assistants in the OR will work interdependently with the surgeon, providing a safe operation with optimal results for the patient.
3. The Registered Nurse First Assistant will at all times act under the direct supervision of the Surgeon performing only those functions specifically stated in a manner consistent with his/her education and experience.
4. All assignments will be made by the ASC Supervisor or designee, with regard to optimum patient care.
5. Knowledge of surgical anatomy, physiology and operative technique pertaining to the procedure being performed.
6. Skill and knowledge in applying principles of asepsis and infection control.
7. Assists in positioning, propping and draping of the patient.
8. Provides hemostasis by applying hemostatic clamps and/or clips, coagulates bleeding points and, ligates vessels.
9. Provides exposure by suctioning sponging and retracting.
10. Handles tissue, implants, etc., as directed by the surgeon during operative procedure.
11. Performs other related duties as directed.